Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Center for Climate Change Communication
The George Mason University, Center for Climate Change Communication (4C) seeks to hire a full-time Postdoctoral Research Fellow. The center’s mission is to develop and apply social science insights to help society make informed decisions that will stabilize the earth’s life-sustaining climate, and prevent further harm from climate change. To do this, we conduct scientific surveys and message experiments at local, national, and international scales, often times in partnership with government agencies, civic organizations, professional associations, and companies. The center also runs several initiatives designed to enhance the public engagement efforts of journalists and television weathercasters, health professionals, and conservatives who care about climate change.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Conduct scientific research to advance the theory and practice of effective climate change communication, and the psychological, cultural, political, and social factors influencing public awareness, risk perceptions, policy preferences and behavior;
- Work with an interdisciplinary and international network of researchers;
- Contribute to survey research and experimental design, implementation, data analysis and data management; and
- Author peer-reviewed publications and public reports.
- Candidates must have a PhD in a relevant social science field or discipline, such as communication (climate change, science, environment, public health, and/or political communication), psychology, political science, sociology, or geography;
- Proficiency in survey and experimental research design, methods, and analysis;
- Proficiency in data analysis, using SPSS, R, or other statistics packages;
- Proficiency in data and project management;
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research results to both expert and non-expert audiences; and
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English.
Candidates with additional experience in one or more of the following methodologies is desired: semi-structured interviews, field experiments with elites/policymakers, machine learning/automated content analysis, social network analysis or other methodologies that integrate social media data with survey data.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: July 12, 2022
This position will remain open until filled and is telework friendly.