Chief Marketing Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
Conservation International (CI) is looking to recruit a Chief Marketing Officer to be based in their Arlington, Virginia location.
About Conservation International
People depend on nature for many things. A stable climate. Clean air. Fresh water. Abundant food. Cultural resources. And the incalculable additional benefits the world’s biodiversity provides. Conservation International (CI) works to ensure a healthy and productive planet for us all.
Yet economic and infrastructure development, which are so necessary for human well-being, can also have serious impacts on nature. That is why CI is working at every level – from remote villages to the offices of presidents and premiers – to help move whole societies toward a smarter development path.
Through science, policy and field work, we're applying smart solutions to protect the resources that we all depend on. We help communities, countries and societies protect tropical forests, lush grasslands, rivers, wetlands, abundant lakes and the sea. Only through properly valuing the essential services these ecosystems provide can we create a sustainable development path that will benefit all people for generations to come.
For further information about Conservation International please visit: www.conservation.org.
Chief Marketing Officer
Every human life on Earth depends on a natural world capable of supporting our needs. But we are taking more from nature than it can replace, weakening the Earth’s ability to provide the clean air, fresh water and food we depend on. Conservation International leads influential teams—governments, industries and community leaders—who design and implement large-scale economic and policy changes that restore the balance between human consumption and nature’s production. In order to be successful in its mission, Conservation International must be a well-known and trusted brand.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a key member of the executive leadership team providing strong, creative, energetic, strategic leadership on all of CI’s marketing and branding initiatives. The CMO will build a clear vision and breakthrough marketing strategies, reaching across all media platforms to increase CI’s brand awareness globally. This vision will convey the passion and unique niche of our organization and yield a cohesive sense of the organization’s identity, both externally and internally.
S/he will develop and execute consistent and compelling key messages that accurately portray the work and mission of the organization. S/he will oversee global advertising, collateral, promotions and other initiatives to drive familiarity, favorability and preference for the organization’s brand while supporting key organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing key corporate and public-sector decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
S/he will also demonstrate a strong commitment to CI’s mission, display a consistent, creative vision, and employ innovative, entrepreneurial strategies to support the design and integrated implementation of marketing campaigns and communication partnerships. S/he will be a role model for networking and relationship and partnership building.
The broad objectives for the Chief Marketing Officer are the following:
- Set marketing and branding vision and high-level objectives to enable the organization and the division to achieve CI's organizational goals.
- Lead effort to identify, segment and research key target audiences to drive general brand awareness and engagement objectives, key organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Oversee brand positioning, message development as a well as market research to help define relevant and compelling messages.
- Ensure external communications – from CI’s web presence, social and traditional media engagement, events, publications, video products and other communications products – are first in class and effective in supporting organizational goals. Work with CI’s senior leaders to align all communications and ensure an integrated approach to CI's global brand and marketing efforts that reinforces CI’s brand value and reflects its initiatives and campaigns as appropriate to local conditions.
- Identify and pitch strategic marketing partners and opportunities, and oversee the implementation of marketing initiatives, in both traditional and non-traditional arenas that lead to increased brand awareness.
Fundraising and Partnerships:
- Collaborate with other senior leaders in the development of relationships with partners in the public and private sector that are key to CI’s success
- Develop proposals and project ideas to help raise funds from private sources, foundations and other partners or secure pro bono services for marketing and branding efforts.
- Collaborate with CI’s SVP of Development to develop the messaging and tools necessary to support CI’s fundraising initiatives from a variety of sources – public and private.
- Collaborate with CI’s SVP, Center for Environmental Leadership in Business on messaging, tools and pitches for cause-related marketing initiatives.
- Serve as staff liaison for CI Board on matters related to marketing and branding.
People and Program Management:
- Oversee division staff, budgets, programs & projects. Ensure fiscal oversight of the division’s budgets.
- Align staff efforts toward overall objectives and manage performance. Represent the division on CI Leadership and other senior-level committees responsible for decisions affecting the institution.
- Build general capacity of all CI staff on the value of marketing and branding with a focus on capacity building for CI communicators, including programmatic focused communicators in HQ and field programs outside span of control.
- Ensure knowledge sharing between communicators for transfer of ideas on marketing, branding, and relationship building.
Supervisory responsibilities/Authority allocated:
- Supervision of staff
- Authority to determine and modify division’s organizational structure
- Authority to establish strategy and performance targets as aligned with overall CI strategy
- Authority to negotiate on behalf of CI with "C" level executives
- Authority to raise and commit resources consistent with established fundraising and finance policies and procedures
- Authority to represent CI and its views to the media and to the public
- Responsibility for executive decisions on division budgets, strategies and work plans
- Authority to communicate directly with CI's Chairman and CEO, President, and Chief Operating Officer on any matters requiring their attention
- Authority to convene meetings with other CI unit and division heads to discuss program strategy or institutional management issues
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Advanced degree in business, marketing, communications or related field and a minimum 12 years experience in progressive management/leadership level positions in marketing or communications (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Experience in leveraging emerging trends/technology, crafting effective digital strategies, and architecting an engaging user experience online and within the social media platforms
- International experience developing and implementing branding and marketing programs and strategies and systems to support a multi-million dollar, multi-location global organization
- Experience with multiple channels, including web and social media, and a demonstrated understanding of how the channels work in concert
- Experience working in a diverse decentralized international organization
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including effective presentation and negotiation skills
- Ability to create innovative strategies, partnerships and programs without existing models
- Proven ability to formulate and execute results utilizing strong analytical, critical decision-making and strategic planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, presence and ability to effectively build strong relationships both internally and externally
- Proven ability to lead, engage, and collaborate with individuals across various disciplines, cultures and backgrounds to achieve shared goals, including outside of span of control
- Demonstrated ability in staff supervision and coaching, and building successful teams
- A reputation for high ethical standards and integrity
- Passion for international nature conservation and sustainable development, and commitment to engagement with public and private leaders to address environmental problems and promote healthy ecosystems essential for human well-being
- Energetic, collaborative and proactive
- Entrepreneurial and dynamic thought leader
- Highly adaptive and able to work well in high stress situations
- Stature and confidence to gain the credibility, respect and buy-in for a wide range of audiences and stakeholders
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all of its forms.
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Integrity: We act with integrity and are accountable for our actions.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
- Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Frequent travel (>25%) to domestic and international locations
- Availability to deal with pressing business, emergencies, and unanticipated crises or opportunities that may arise related to CI’s institutional needs or management, including outside of normal office hours
Conservation International offers an excellent benefits package and a salary which is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter explaining how their skills and background fit this position and a resume to: Daniel Sherman, President, Explore Company or Steven Sherman, Vice President at firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to CI/CMO in the subject line. No phone inquiries please.
Conservation International is an equal opportunity employer. All correspondence will remain confidential.