Coordinator, Communications and Development
This position is part of the Field Programs Management Department (FPM) within the Field Programs Unit (FPU), which also includes the Africa + Madagascar Field Division (AMFD), Asia-Pacific Field Division (APFD) and Americas Field Division (AFD). The Communications and Development Coordinator provides communication and development support to FPM and the FPU, with targeted support to the Africa + Madagascar Field Division (AMFD). The Coordinator is responsible for representing the FPM and FPU in cross divisional networks and meetings, compiling reports from the field, creating and maintaining essential communications and training tools and supporting the implementation of the FPM portfolio overall.
The Coordinator must have the ability to make independent judgments related to fundraising and project matters, good relationship- building skills and an ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the highest degree of professionalism. The Coordinator must communicate effectively with all levels of management inside CI and follow through with relationships outside the organization with professionalism and integrity. This position will require a broad and comprehensive knowledge of CI’s policies, priorities, and values.
- Produce communication (internal and external) products for the FPU and support field teams in expanding communications products (including videos, Vault photos, factsheets, etc.)
- Design print materials such as factsheets, reports, brochures
- Design Powerpoint presentations
- Socialize, update, and continue expanding Field Program website; create new resources for use by field programs and reference for all CI
- Update content for CI Connect as contributing editor
- Work closely with the communications department to align Field Program actions with institutional communications and branding.
- Expand training and reference resources available to field staff.
- Act as Field Program representative on cross-divisional teams; participate in communications-related cross-divisional networks (e.g., CommCoord, Communications Strategy Taskforce, and Website Redesign Working Group)
- Coordinate internal/external staff in the design and execution of communications materials
- Produce monthly FPM report
- Produce FPU segment of quarterly President’s Letter and lead the institutional awards process for the FPU
- Support FPM team as necessary in special projects and reports including, but not limited to: the Institutional Learning Event, the Field Summit Multi-country projects, HSS website, S-S exchange
Proposal Development and Fundraising
- Assist with FPM proposal development, including donor research and proposal coordination
- Work with field program teams on expanding fundraising efforts, including grant submission, content translation and editing, and acting as cross-divisional liaison.
- Work to help improve field programs’ fundraising skills, capacities and systems; create and expand in-house fundraising training resources
- Identify and research potential funding opportunities
- Assist field program teams in planning, writing and editing funding proposals
- Ensure that donor reports meet requirements and contracts, and that they are of a high standard and submitted on time.
- Support the Vice President of FPM on special projects and as needed
- Contribute to FPM portfolio of work including strategic alignment, strategy implementation, programmatic support to field programs
- Serve as a liaison among field programs and between field programs and HQ as needed
- Serve as a warehouse of information on field programs and as a HQ-based focal point on information related to field programs
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Normal with flexibility to accommodate off hour meetings or schedules as needed
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in graphic design and production of communications materials
- Demonstrated experience on website management
- Excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with InDesign, Microsoft Publisher and video editing software
- Experience in fundraising
- Familiarity with CI geographic regions and interventions
- Resourcefulness, creative thinking, and ability to work proactively
- Force of presence: ability to accomplish assignments requiring cross-organizational cooperation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals from a variety of disciplines, cultures and backgrounds
- Flexibility and willingness to work in situations of flux; ability to work in a fast turn-around environment
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take ownership for wide-ranging responsibilities
- Utmost professionalism and discretion
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to make decisions and take the initiative, as part of managing a complex and varied workload.
- Commitment to CI goals and values
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Fluency in one or more major foreign language(s), e.g., French, Spanish or Portuguese.
- Field experience
- Good sense of humor