Learn More About the Position:
The Communications Coordinator develops and disseminates informative materials that build awareness of the issues facing the ocean today. S/he will work alongside senior communications team members and conservation experts to execute tactics as part of strategic communication plans, including regular outreach to media and the development of messaging, fact sheets, statements, blog posts and website content. This position requires researching news coverage, reporters and bloggers and generating media attention for Ocean Conservancy program activity in a number of outlets, including regional and national print, broadcast and blogs. This position supports several programs and corresponding activities, including the Arctic, ocean acidification, sustainable fisheries and more.
- Execute strategic communication tactics, including writing and/or distributing messaging, statements, press releases, talking points, fact sheets, blog posts, multimedia (PowerPoint) and other external-facing materials
- Support the implementation of activities that will elevate the organization's and executive team's visibility among key audiences, including researching and organizing speaking opportunities, conference attendance, column placement and stakeholder meetings
- Perform regular outreach to media outlets, including broadcast, print and online, using approved program messaging. Secure interviews for experts and report upon outcomes
- Respond to incoming media inquiries and organize interviews as needed
- Build press lists, monitor media (print, broadcast, blogs, social media) and assess media landscape to better inform our strategies
- Edit Ocean Conservancy documents, presentations, reports and other forms of collateral using AP style. Format documents and PowerPoint presentations
- Update Ocean Conservancy online press kits and help manage the News Room section of our website
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and help develop and execute strategic communications plans
- Serve as a team liaison to program, policy and science staff for implementation and execution of assigned tasks supporting the Director of Communications
- Support additional content development, research, logistical and administrative duties as needed
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams and learn new subject matter quickly
- Thorough understanding of the traditional and social media landscape and how the two can be used to maximize audience reach
- Proven ability to operate efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced environment and adjust quickly in rapid response situations
- A high-level performer who will bring the necessary creativity, energy and commitment to the team
- Working knowledge of AP style, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Twitter, Facebook and WordPress
- Attentive to details and adheres strictly to deadlines and deliverables while keeping a larger vision in mind
- One to three years of experience working in the communications division at a company, public relations firm, association or nonprofit organization
- Degree in communications, journalism or similar discipline preferred
APPLY FOR THE POSITION:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy's team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities along with your resume and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note your name and "Communications Coordinator #1326" in the subject line. Make sure to include how you learned of our opening.
Ocean Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.