Assistant Professor of Technical Communication
Montana Tech of the University of Montana (Butte, Montana)--see also http://www.mtech.edu/employment/
Department: Professional & Technical Communication
Closing Date: Review will begin November 1, 2013 and continue until position is filled
Employment : Permanent, Full-Time
The Technical Communication Department at Montana Tech of the University of Montana seeks a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Technical Communication. The position includes teaching, service, and scholarly activity. The department offers a Master of Science program; a bachelor’s degree program with five specialized concentrations (health communication, interactive media, public relations, rhetoric, and science & environmental communication); and a minor in technical communication. In addition, the department houses the institution’s writing program, which provides writing and communication service courses across the campus. The successful candidate will play a lead role in converting the department’s existing MS program to a web-based/hybrid format.
Instructional duties will primarily be in technical writing but may include other freshman through graduate courses and seminars, technical editing, science writing, presenting technical information, English composition, qualitative research methods, and other courses. Scholarship and engagement in relevant professional and technical communication activities are expected. Service via regular and meaningful contributions to the college and profession is also expected.
Knowledge, Skills & Education Required
- Doctorate or ABD in a communications-related field such as technical communication, educational media, web-based communication or eLearning.
- Experience with teaching writing or communication courses at the college level is also required.
Preferred Education & Experience
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate one or more of the following qualities:
- Leadership role in eLearning or web-based communication;
- Understanding of instructional design and assessment;
- Experience in creating web-based courses or in converting traditional courses to a web-based format;
- Active scholarship, including publications in relevant professional journals; and
- Instructional experience in teaching writing or other communications courses in a web-based format with an accredited institution of higher education.
To apply, please submit the following items:
- Cover letter which specifically addresses the above-mentioned qualifications
- Detailed resume
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Name and contact information for 3 professional references
- Authorization for Criminal Background Investigation
The items listed above should be sent to:
Montana Tech Personnel Office
1300 West Park Street
Butte, MT 59701
Phone: 406-496-4380 Fax: 406-496-4387 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org