Conference on Communication and Environment 2013
CALLSubmitted by The IECA on June 05, 2012.
Type of Call:
Call for conference submissions
September 15, 2012
Participation Revisited: Openings and Closures for Deliberations on the Commons
6-10 June 2013 Uppsala, Sweden
Call for Papers
Twenty years after the Rio (1992) Summit declared that the importance of “participation of all concerned citizens at the relevant level”, organizers of the 2012 Earth Summit seek to improve institutional frameworks for national environmental governance and develop international instruments to give legal force to this mandate. The theme of the first Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE) to be held outside of the U.S. encourages critical reflection on ways that Environmental Communication may contribute to this mandate, particularly as it opens new possibilities for citizens to participate in decisions about the environments they inhabit and care for.
We welcome proposals for papers, panels, and posters that might address questions such as:
- How do communication and politics interact to open and close opportunities for citizen participation?
- How do various cultural models of participation open and close possibilities for sustainability?
- How do place-based understandings of landscapes open and close options for participatory management of the commons?
- How does relative emphasis on the labels ‘citizen’ and ‘stakeholder’ influence the significance of participation?
- How do new media open and/or close opportunities for public participation?
- How does the frame of deliberation constrain participation opportunities?
- How do people determine what counts as legitimate participation, and who decides?
- How have we re-imagined the concept of the commons?
To maximize opportunities to participate in the conference, topics are not limited to those directly addressing the theme. We encourage submissions from students and all professional sectors addressing Environmental Communication.
For questions about conference submissions please contact one of the following
Hanna Bergeå firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Feldpausch-Parker email@example.com
Tarla Rai Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
Kaisa Raitio email@example.com
We are soliciting papers, panels, and posters. All submissions must:
- Be written in English.
Include a title page with the following information.
- Title of submission.
- Contact person with affiliation and email address.
- Presenter and affiliation.
- Additional author(s) and affiliation(s).
- Type of submission (paper, panel, or poster).
Paper (extended abstract of less than 3000 words)
- Individual papers should be submitted as extended abstracts.
- Include a separate title page (as described above).
- Format according to APA guidelines.
- The first page should contain an abstract of 100-150 words and 3-5 keywords (abstract and keywords do not count against the maximum of 3000 words).
- Follow the abstract page with text, and then references. Length of no longer than 3000 words, including text and references.
Panel (1500 word limit)
- The entire panel proposal should be no longer than 1500 words.
- Include a 100-150 word rationale for the panel.
- Include 100-150 word abstracts for each paper/contribution in the panel.
Include a title page for the panel (as described above)
- The panel organizer as lead presenter, list individual contributors as additional authors.
Poster (150 word limit)
- Include the title page (as described above).
- 150 word abstract of submission.
Submission and Review Process
- Email your submission as a Microsoft Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, type COCE 2013.
- Author identification should be limited to title page of submission.
Submissions will be reviewed anonymously and rated individually. The organizing committee will divide the papers into thematic sessions. Submissions should emphasize objectives and results/contributions to knowledge.
Reviews will be based on the following criteria:
1. Importance and relevance of topic
2. Contribution to knowledge base and/or useful synthesis of current knowledge
3. Contribution to practice
4. Overall quality (methods, findings)
15 September 2012 ~ Deadline for all submissions
10 November 2012 ~ Notification of acceptance & information on poster space for display
15 February 2013 ~ Deadline for early-bird registration
12 April 2013 ~ Deadline for all materials to be included in proceedings
6-10 June 2013 ~ Conference held in Uppsala, Sweden
Conference proceedings will be published by the International Environmental Communication Association. The proceedings will be a separate publication as has been the case with earlier COCEs (see previous proceedings). For more information, contact Mark Meisner, Executive Director.
All accepted papers are eligible for inclusion in the conference proceedings. This includes papers accepted individually as extended abstracts, and papers accepted as part of a panel proposal. For inclusion, full papers must be received by 12 April, 2013. Full papers follow all previously stated guidelines other than length. Full papers must be no longer than 7000 words.
Poster presenters are invited to submit a short paper of no more than 2000 words to be included in the conference proceedings. For inclusion, these short papers must be received by 12 April, 2013.
Please read the conference submission FAQ.
Please go to the following links for information on the conference, including registration, venue, lodging, field trips, etc.