CALL FOR APPLICATIONS, EDITOR, ENVIRONMENTAL COMMUNICATION
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS—EDITOR, ENVIRONMENTAL COMMUNICATION
We are seeking applicants for the position of Editor of the journal Environmental Communication. This journal, published by Taylor & Francis, is the official journal of the International Environmental Communication Association (IECA) (https://theieca.org). The journal has become the flagship publication in the field of environmental communication, currently publishing eight issues per year and receiving more than 300 submissions annually. The journal’s ISI Impact Factor for 2021 was 3.389, one of the highest in the communication field. In addition, the journal earned a Scopus CiteScore of 5.0 in 2021. For important information about the journal’s mission, aims, and scope, along with samples of published work, go to www.tandfonline.com/renc.
The Editor is responsible for promoting the mission of the journal through seeking, commissioning, and developing articles and other features of the highest quality, and ensuring these articles and features are delivered to the publisher in good order and on a timely basis. The new Editor will take full responsibility for assigning and reviewing new submissions beginning January 1, 2024. The editor’s term will be fixed at three years.
The IECA is committed to diversity and inclusion as a core value and will embody those commitments in the editor search process by encouraging a wide variety of individuals to apply.
Relationships and Support
The Editor will work with the publisher through the Taylor & Francis Portfolio Manager for the Environment journals list as well as promotional staff. The Editor will also work with the Research & Publications Committee of the IECA to maximize both quality and circulation of the journal. The Editor will serve as a member of the IECA’s Board of Directors, and will be expected to make reports on the journal’s progress as requested. The publisher will assist the Editor through production editing and promotional support as well as an annual stipend.
* Recruit and manage a team of Associate Editors that reflects the breadth of the field
* Develop a broad-based and international Editorial Board with expertise in both the social sciences and the humanities, and with broad methodological expertise
* Process and make editorial decisions on open submissions
* Commission special issues of the journal that reflect trends in the field
* Provide quality assurance in the selection and performance of reviewers
* Deliver high-quality, peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication within prescribed deadlines
* With Taylor & Francis, identify strategies to enhance the quality and reputation of the Journal, its citation levels, and readership/circulation
* Increase awareness of articles published in the Journal in all relevant communities and among colleagues
* Work with the publisher and the IECA to promote the journal at professional meetings and other venues
* Work with the IECA Research Committee to share journal updates with IECA members and others in the environmental community
A successful candidate for the position should be able to demonstrate a number of attributes, including:
* Leading researcher/scholar in the field of EC
*Deep understanding of variety of methodological perspectives (qualitative, quantitative)
* Large existing international network in the field of EC
* Capacity to support the journal’s mission
* Ability to communicate effectively and manage projects and tasks on deadline
* Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with faculty and staff
* Experience in reviewing and editing (books, journal issues, etc.)
Consistent with IECA’s commitments, we also expect the editor of the journal to promote diversity and inclusion within the EC field by encouraging a wide range of submissions and authors without respect to gender, race, ethnicity, or country of origin.
Applications should include a cover letter that addresses your interests and capabilities (including any potential institutional support), along with a current CV. Applications will be reviewed beginning March 1, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Final editor selection will be made by Taylor & Francis in consultation with the search committee.
Send application electronically to: Steve Depoe, chair of Research Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Search committee members include: Kundai Chirindo, Tema Milstein, Gabi Mocatta, Silje Kristiansen, and Ed Maibach.