The 2021 Conference on Communication and Environment Online
Re-MEDIAting the Wild
The 16th Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE) “as you’ve never seen it before”
Online everywhere June 21-24, 2021,
The International Environmental Communication Association (IECA) will hold the 16th Conference on Communication and Environment (COCE) online everywhere in June 2021. This conference will mark IECA's 10th anniversary. As always, we will bring together artists, practitioners, scholars, students and engaged citizens from around the world to discuss the state of communication related to environmental affairs. We consider Indigenous perspectives to be central to this topic and therefore especially encourage the participation of Indigenous People.
The title and theme of the conference is Re-MEDIAting the Wild. The intent of this theme is to bring attention to research and practical experience on how best to communicate for the sake of Wildlife and Wild places. At the same time, we expect the conference to address the ways in which communication and culture influence how humans value the Wild and perceive their relationships with the rest of Nature.
In a literal sense Re-MEDIAting the Wild suggests healing Wild places, the species that live there, and humanity's relationship to the rest of Nature. In other words, rewilding and restoring resilience and integrity to the living Earth. For the purposes of this conference it refers to how communication using technology–everything from handwriting to television to social media–affects people's understanding of Wild Nature and our relationships with it. It also refers to ways of reconciling conflicts related to Wildlife and Wild places. And it means connecting or linking ourselves to the Wild in a variety of ways, including as advocates for species and places that are unable to speak directly to our institutions and decision-makers. In all cases, the Re- is important; we must communicate better than we have.
Of course, there is irony in holding a conference on communication for and about Wildlife and Wild places online. However, the online-only format of this meeting is a social symptom of COVID-19, so we can use that fact to help us further reflect on our conventional ways of doing things, and of communicating, not to mention our connections to the natural world. We hope you will join us for this adventure and experience COCE “as you’ve never seen it before.”
Conference Committee: Barb Willard (Chair), Anke Wonneberger (Programme Co-Chair), Bruno Takahashi (Programme Co-Chair), Mark Meisner, Hanna Morris, Jen Rae, Samathana Senda-Cook, and Franzisca Weder.
Dates are subject to change.
- 10 October 2020 – Theme announced and call for submissions distributed
- 1 December 2020 – Online conference submission system opens
- 1 February 2021 – Deadline for all submissions
- 8 February 2021 – Registration opens
- 12 April 2021 – Acceptance notifications
- 12 April 2021 – Draft programme available
- 12 April to 17 May 2021 – Programme revisions and corrections
- 26 April 2021 – Presenters must be members of IECA
- 17 May 2021 – Programme mostly finalized
- 17 May 2021 – Presenters must be registered
- 24 May 2021 – Early-bird registration closes
- 24 May 2021 – Presentations, papers, posters and artwork must be uploaded to the conference platform
- 24 May to 21 June – Delegates can view pre-recorded presentations and other material
- 21 June 2021 – Pre-conference events (optional)
- 21 June 2021 – Conference begins online everywhere
- 24 June 2021 – Conference ends
Twitter: @TheIECA #coce2021
Email: coce2021 at theieca dot org
If you are not an IECA member and you would like to receive news about the conference, please join our mailing list. Otherwise, keep checking back here for updates.
Photo illustration by Mark Meisner. Original photos by SONY and Diorit are licensed under Creative Commons.